Sunday, March 19, 2017

"Living Water, Living Faith: A Samaritan Woman Tells Her Story." A sermon from Littlefield Presbyterian Church.






"Living Water, Living Faith"

John 4:4-42




            I used to go to the well in the early morning or at the end of the day, with the other women of the village.  The sun is not so bright then, and the air is cooler. 
            The women and girls visit with one another as they draw water and fill their vessels to take water back to their homes.  There’s a kind of sisterhood that’s a natural part of the scene at the well. Long ago, I used to be part of that sisterhood. 
            But now I am shunned.  When I approach the well, the women stop talking.  They look at me, disapproving…rejecting.  When I turn to leave, they snicker.  How did my life end up like this? 
            So now I go to the well at midday.   I have become invisible.  No one talks to me.  You’d think they would be more sympathetic.  It could be any of them who lost their husband, their place in society, their livelihood, and their security.  Their husbands could die, and if they don’t have a son, they could and end up being passed down from one brother to another in a Levirate marriage.  Or their husbands could divorce them.  As women, we don’t have a lot of control over our lives in these situations. 
            I’ve wondered if perhaps my presence reminds them of how fragile their situations are…how vulnerable they are.    

            Several days ago, as I approached the well, I noticed a solitary man sitting there, as if he were waiting for someone.  I was immediately suspicious. This man was Jewish.  But it was very unusual to see a Jew in Samaria.
            You might wonder how I knew he was a Jew.  This is something that we Samaritans notice.  We are taught at a very young age not to have any relations with the Jews.  Jews and Samaritans have hated and mistrusted each other for centuries.  Most Jews try to avoid our people--they see us as outsiders and heretics.  They make wide detours around Samaria when traveling between Galilee and Judea so that they won’t be contaminated by our mixed blood. 
            Jews and Samaritans share the same scriptures--the Torah.  But our holy place is near here, on Mount Gerazim, and the Jews insist the true center of worship is Jerusalem.  Some time ago, Jewish troops destroyed our holy shrine on Mount Gerazim. 
            The Jews are afraid of being ritually contaminated by any contact with Samaritans. 
            And yet this Jewish man talked to me, saying, “Would you give me a drink of water?”

            I wondered:  How can this be?  This Jewish man couldn’t be talking to me-- a Samaritan!  A woman.  An observant Jew certainly wouldn’t be talking with a woman who wasn’t a relative.  He certainly would talk to a nobody like me.  I was so startled by his request that I said, "How is it that you, a Jew, ask a drink of me, a woman of Samaria?"
            I didn’t know what to think.  The man disregarded my question, as it was of no concern to him.  He didn’t seem to care that I was a Samaritan.  He looked at me-- he saw me.

            I don’t know when I’ve talked so much.  I’ve been so isolated and lonely.  I don’t know what came over me.  Maybe my nervousness loosened my tongue.  I certainly didn’t expect to have a long conversation with this man.  But he listened to my question.  He took me seriously.  And he responded:
            "If you knew the gift of God, you could have asked, and he would have given living water."
            Well, I didn’t understand what he was saying.  I didn’t know what he meant by “living water.” But I wanted to keep talking with him.  There was just something about him.  So, I asked:
"Who do you think you are?   You don't even have a bucket!

            The Jewish man said to me, "Everyone who drinks of this water from the well will thirst again.  But those who drink of the water I give-- which is living water-- will never be thirsty.  The water I will give will become in them a spring of water gushing up eternal life."
            I pondered this puzzling comment and wondered about this "living water".    What could he mean?  Something about that phrase spoke to me and reminded me of the thirst I was experiencing in her soul and spirit.  Would this mean that I wouldn’t have to come to the well again? 
            I hate making the lonely, shameful trips to the well every day.  To never be thirsty again-- that sounded wonderful to me!  I pleaded for him to give me this living water:  "Sir, give me this water that I may never be thirsty."
            "All right,” he said.  “Go call your husband."
           
            There it was.  I was sure then he would treat me like the rest of the town does.  Once he found out I have no husband, I’d be back where I started.  What was I supposed to say to him-- that I had been in five marriages and now was with a man who would take care of me but wouldn’t marry me?  I felt trapped…shamed.  But I told the man the truth: “I have no husband.”
            "That's right,” he said.  “You have no husband.  You've had five husbands, and the one you're with now is not your husband.  You told the truth when you said you have no husband."
            Somehow, when the man said it, I didn’t hear the judgment and scorn that has been my life these past years.  It sounded more like he was naming my pain, the way our society has passed me from man to man until I no longer have even the dignity of marriage. 
            I wonder:  How does he know this about my life?  “You’re some kind of PROPHET-- aren’t you?”

            I don’t know what got into me.  We kept talking.  He told me the most extraordinary thing.  He knew that Samaritans worshipped God at Mount Gerazim, while the Jews worshipped God in Jerusalem.  That is just one of the ways that our two peoples disagree.  But Jesus told me that none of that mattered anymore.   What was important was to worship God in an attitude of spirit and truth.  God is not confined to one place.
            Well, if that were to happen-- we could all worship God in a way that doesn’t divide us into enemies.
            I could begin to imagine a God who valued all people, regardless of where they worshipped or which tribe they were from, or whether their neighbors thought they were worthless.  At least I longed for such a God.  I longed for a God who would give me water when I was thirsty.  I long for a God who loves everybody--even nobodies like me.
            Eventually I said, “Well, such deep subjects.  When the Messiah gets here, he’ll explain all this deep stuff to us.  When Messiah comes, far in a future time.  But not here.  Not now.”
            But the man at the well said: “The hour is coming and is now here.  I am the Messiah--the Christ.  The Anointed One.”

            Then I knew:  this man was offering me the very water that I needed to sustain me.  Living water that gives life!   I had to tell someone-- everyone! 
            I left my jug by the well and ran into town.  I ran back into town and told people, “Come and see!  There is a man at the well who has told me everything I have done!  He can’t he be the Messiah--can he?”
            The people all ran to the well. They listened to me and believed me! They were even talking to me! 
            The people who’d been traveling with the man had come back to the well with some food they’d bought and they tried to get him to eat something.  But he said to them, “I have food to eat that that you don’t know about.  My food is to do the will of the one who sent me and to complete his work.” 
            We didn’t understand what he was talking about, especially when he talked about fields and sowing and harvesting.
            Many of the people from our city believed in the man.  They said it was because of what I’d said: “He told me everything I have ever done.”
            They invited him and his friends to spend some time with us.  And they did.  They stayed for two days.
            I found out that his name was Jesus.  He treated me as a fellow human being that deserved the grace of God simply because I was living on this earth.
            I came to believe that my life has value, and so did my neighbors.  They began to treat me with respect and made me feel like I was one of them.
            They came to hear Jesus because of my testimony.  But then they heard the good news for themselves-- the good news of God’s love and eternal life for us all.  We have life that is nourished with living water.
            Thanks be to God!
        
Rev. Fran Hayes, Pastor
Littlefield Presbyterian Church
Dearborn, Michigan
March 19, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment